Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Adventures of...

...the Louisiana Philharmonic Ochestra
I patiently awaited the day I'd get to take a field trip with my awesome 2nd graders all semester.  I found the school calendar immediately wrote down the two weeks that the 2nd grade classes could go on a field trip.  Just my luck, the first field trip was scheduled during our mandatory mid-semester seminar.  It was to an alligator farm that I took the 9 year old I babysit to over the summer, so I knew what I was missing out on, but it is a completely different experience as a field trip. 

Well, the next field trip was scheduled for today!  It was a trip to see the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra.  I was definitely not looking forward to this one.  I have attended so many musicals, plays, and orchestras and been near a group of children who do not know how to act in a theater and it is very frustrating.  Plus, I just really did not forsee these kids enjoying an orchestra. 

Much to my surprise, though, this was specifically planned for kids!  We all left thinking it should have lasted a little longer!  The conductor came out on stage to greet the audience and a "UPS" man had to deliver a package of "Melody".  The whole performance was so kid friendly and set up to inform the students of the terms used in music--harmony, melody, rythym, timbre, and more.  They played Ode to Joy and provided the audience with lyrics so we could sing it as they played.  At the end of the performance they let the audience pick how the finale would be performed. 

My 2nd graders thorougly enjoyed the field trip.   I was so surprised!!  One student in front of me pretended to be the conductor the entire time and a few seats down another pretended to play the violin.  I was so proud of their awesome behavior (for once).  They were better examples of how to act during a performance than the high schoolers that were there. 

What a great experience for my students.  I'm so happy they actually fully appreciated the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment