Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Show Me the Money!

This past week in Math we have been learning about money.  Who doesn't love money, right?  Let's just say after this week, this girl does not enjoy money.  Luckily, I was warned by the other 2nd grade teachers that money is pretty hard, so I dug around my house and got all the coins I could find.

As I mentioned, my students love when I read books to them and it was just my luck that I have The Coin Counting Book that I bought last year for a tutoring project.  I actually started everyday the same because I knew they needed all the help and repetition they could get.  My students loved hearing it so much that they are constantly asking to read it on their own.


We use Harcourt materials for math and it was an absolutely fabulous resource for an awesome game that requires the students to count change up to 50 cents.  Separate the coins from pennies to one half dollar coin in each of the sections.  The students are to roll a die and the student is to place however many pennies into the empty section.  That is "trading center".  We get Math intervention times and I have found that this game works much better during that 30 minute time slot.  I tried it whole group and small groups, but intervention time proved best.

 

(I think it's important for the students to use real money)

The hardest part for the students was adding the money in the trading center.  How did I solve this?


Through the use of a hundreds chart, ten frame, and dry erase markers.  For the ten frame I put (5 cents) at the end of the top row and (10 cents) at the end of the second row.  During our game we'd place the pennies on the ten frame to see what trades we could make and we would mark the amount rolled each time, that way when we would figure out the trades I could ask, "Do we still have (whatever the amount) cents?"  I don't know about the other groups, but my group really soared with this resource.  

Five days later, I can promise you I am so over money... but don't worry, my students are excited about it enough to beg for the money game and counting book every chance they get!  Even though I wanted to pull my hair out after today's test, I really am one happy teacher that they are actually excited about learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment