Thursday, October 20, 2011

All We Need is Love

As mentioned in the last two posts, today is National Day on Writing.  I don't want to bore you, but I suppose if you're reading this it's because you're actually interested in what I have to say.  The past week has actually been a fantastic week for me to write anyway.

This week we have had nothing but fun activities!  I always have fun activities but they are usually spread out throughout the week.  This week started with an exciting Social Studies lesson on crops and natural resources.  How did we do that?  Last semester my teacher, who is now my university supervisor, taught us the power of a virtual tour.  It's so simple- pictures of a place and just acting out a field trip.  We went to my mom's vegetable garden!  They love doing that, but then following it up with them planting a few green bean seeds definitely helped with the excitement!  We placed the cups in the window and have been anticipating the growth all week.  We also did a lesson on bar graphs and we did that through graphing M & M's.

Math was so simple to make exciting this week.  Patterns.  Even the most simple things can excite them.  I passed out construction paper and had them create all the different patterns they wanted, then as a class we created one giant classroom pattern from the paper colors!  Today they got to make pattern necklaces.

The most rewarding part for me, though, was the writing prompt.  They were learning to write letters this week.  The true objective was to be able to write a letter to the me of some things they wanted me to change in the class.  Instead, I got a bunch of letters saying how much they were going to miss me. One said, "Miss Kirsten, I'm sorry I'll be leaving you for 3rd grade.  You will always be in my heart and you will still be my BFF" (just add a few misspellings). It was so sweet and so heartbreaking.  I just keep thinking, "Come on, December 2nd", but then I think about leaving the sweet faces and I just get upset.   What am I going to do when I'm officially a teacher?

It's been a rough half of a semester, but every part of the roller coaster has made me fall more in love with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment