Sunday, October 9, 2011

Journey Through Student Teaching...

After nearly 9 weeks of my student teaching experience I've decided I have enough fun(ny) things to share. I'll give a quick overview of my journey thus far.

I was supposed to be in a Pre-K classroom in a completely different school, but three days before school started I was moved to Midway Elementary in a 2nd grade classroom.  As upset and terrified as I was in the beginning, these 22 second graders have stolen my heart!  I actually only have 18 students in my classroom (six of which are girls) and they are wild, goofy, and too sweet!  Everyday there's a new silly story to tell.

The entire parish has low scores as far as the school report cards go, but Midway (D+) has received the SIG grant to attempt higher scores.  Talk about tough!  The grant has a ton of stipulations that are hard to keep up with, but the way I look at it, if I can make it through this semester as a student teacher I can do anything!  The grant requires meetings everyday, more interventions for Math and Reading (but we actually get interventionists for those), data boards, and much more.

Now that there is somewhat of a background of my classroom I can begin sharing the stories (like the lock down we had) and the fun lessons we've had!

No comments:

Post a Comment