Sunday, October 30, 2011

And Then There Was BOO!

Halloween is not my favorite holiday because I hate scary movies and haunted houses.  I'm not scared of them (I don't like feeling jumpy), but when it comes to celebrating holidays in a classroom I'm pretty sure nothing is more fun than a Halloween party!  Well, I forget that I grew up at a Catholic school where it's okay to talk about Halloween and other holidays, but in a public school you sometimes can't even call it a party.  They've settled this by making it Storybook Character Day and the kids can still dress up in a costume as long as it is a storybook character.  My students anticipated our celebration all week long, as did I.

We decided to bring a little Halloween themed things into the mix, but we really did have a child in the class that is not allowed to celebrate Halloween.  We had a recipe for making spider cookies and I was so psyched about it!  It was something the students could do that wasn't all about school work, but since it was Storybook Character Day instead of Halloween I had to come up with a book.  Thank you, Eric Carle, for your amazing book selections!  The best book to tie into making spider cookies was The Very Busy Spider.  The cookies are super easy and quite tasty.

Here's what you need:
Oreos
chocolate Twizzlers/black licorice
marshmallow cream

Untwist the Oreo
Break the Twizzler into 8 small pieces
Put marshmallow cream on one part of the cookie
Put the Twizzlers on like legs
Replace the top of the cookie

The students acted like they had never eaten Oreos before. It was great and I had enough left overs to make another spider.  Here's the finished product (unfortunately I had to scale it down to crop out my student):


And don't worry, there were Superheroes to save the day ;)


P.S. I was Iron Ma'am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment